About off-cycle cheques
Off-cycle cheques are issued on a delayed basis and therefore they are an exception to regular payroll processing.
Off-cycle cheques should never be substituted for the timely processing of an employees’ pay. All departments are responsible for processing personnel actions and / or documents for their employees within published payroll deadlines.
The request process
Effective November 1, 2013
- Employees paid off-cycle will no longer receive cheques, but will receive their payments via direct deposit on a scheduled weekly off-cycle pay date
- The off-cycle payment request will require department head approval before it is submitted to Central Payroll Services
- The scheduled off-cycle process will run every Wednesday, with the payment deposited into the employee’s account that Friday (exception: the December holiday break and system year-end activities)
- HRIS transaction corrections must be made prior to submitting the off-cycle payment request by the deadline provided
- A processing fee of $75 will be applied for each off-cycle payment request and will be applied to the applicable department’s cost centre
- Once completed and approved, it can be routed to the Central Payroll Services for processing
How to request an off-cycle cheque
In order to have an off-cycle cheque issued, the HR Divisional Office must complete the following steps:
- HR Divisional Office identifies and validates the underpayment
- HR Divisional Office obtains internal approval to process an off-cycle cheque before the next regular scheduled pay date
- HR Divisional Office makes transaction corrections in HRIS
- HR Divisional Office completes and submits the Off-cycle Cheque Request Form
Central Payroll Services reviews your request and confirms the payment schedule with the Division. The cheque is processed for deposit on the scheduled off-cycle pay date.